Compound Turbos

Rustspecs13
What do you drive: Nissan 240sx

Compound Turbos

Post by Rustspecs13 » December 14th, 2009, 6:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Me6yWApzY

Ive been looking at compound setups for a long time because my co worker is a big diesil truck and has showed me alot of setups.

I just found that z31 setup, its on a 2jz (boo) but its a step in the right direction.

Im looking for a setup that makes more torque and under 600whp. Mostly I want good response and top end, and the ability to turn up the boost after proving the setup works reliably.

This will be a mostly drift setup, and it'll be my daily driver, although I will autox it and I want to start road racing this year too. Or at least track days.

Ideally Id just use my stock turbo and add a big turbo on top, but my stock turbo blows up at 13psi and stock boost is 10psi. Thanks nissan for using a ceramic one piece exhaust wheel.

So I'm going to see if a stock SR20 turbo works with my RB20 exhaust housing since its a t3 flange on the rb. If not I'll probably try to score a hx25. My coworker has a hx35 or hy35 off his 5.9L cummins he'll sell me for about $250.

The main reason why I don't want a VGT holset/garret yet is because of the tuning. The VGT I'm sure will really be a very hard to tune for maximum response and reliability on track. I do want to experiment with it soon, but I think a medium sized compound setup would be better for response and be easier to tune.

Any way I was just wondering if any of you guys had some first hand experience.

~Alex

Black Betty
What do you drive: Topkick K6500

Re: Compound Turbos

Post by Black Betty » December 14th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Pretty cool setup. I always thought that was what twin sequentials were anyway. I couldn't hear both spools on that or another video though.
ImageImage

Boosted_Z
What do you drive: 1989 300zx

Post by Boosted_Z » December 14th, 2009, 9:28 pm

That is streetfighter from z31performance. What a small world :wavey:

Aero
Admin
What do you drive: 95 TSI AWD

Post by Aero » December 15th, 2009, 1:06 am

Self Cooling Intercooler
Is there such a thing? What I am thinking of is something like like air/water intercooler but instead of water passing thru it, the turbo sucks air thru it, then feeds the charge thru the side where it normally would on an air water intercooler. Thus cooling itself
FAIL

Rustspecs13

Post by Rustspecs13 » December 15th, 2009, 10:29 am

No I didn't find that! But I'll probably end up reading it all right now!

Thanks!

~Alex

95silverblackgts
What do you drive: 95 Mustang GTS

Post by 95silverblackgts » January 8th, 2010, 11:32 am

why compound boost instead of a twin set up?you could put one big aSS turbo with nitrous to help it spool.turbo motors love nitrous.I run a nx kit with my supercharger it works really good because i dont use a intercooler.good luck.I would like to get a few cars together to make a trip to wichita or manhattan look for some street racing action.

Rustspecs13

Post by Rustspecs13 » January 9th, 2010, 9:07 pm

First of all I HATE nitrous for my personal cars. Great for a WOT boost, or spooling a turbo. Again at WOT only.

I drift and autox mainly, and I can not rely on nitrous to spool my turbo at part throttle.

And the reason I don't use the same size twins or a big single is response. A true compound setup always has both turbos working, and if you size them correctly they should spool faster then either turbo would by them selves.

I only want 400whp but there's better ways of doing it then most people do. And this setup will always grow with my HP needs by bumping boost. I eventually want to be at around 700whp and this will likely get me there, while still being far more responsive then any high HP single.

For now the goal is better response then stock and 300-400whp. Later as I upgrade my clutch, transmission (rb25) and rear axles, I'll go up in HP. But the whole car will get upgraded along the way too.

I just got my hx30 and its in amazing shape. I'll post measurements in my build thread soon.

~Alex