View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 3:20 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 HE351VE Holset VGT Turbo Information NO 56K 
Admin

Post HE351VE Holset VGT Turbo Information NO 56K
Edit:
Here are two threads with builds based off this turbo for reference.
My 95 TSI AWD
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4
And Danyz250f from DSMTuners.com on his 92 Laser RS AWD
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-s ... y-car.html
Boostedtalon904's Build thread on DSMpurity.com
http://www.dsmpurity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5712

Oil feed and drain sizes can be found here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=640 thanks to BoostedAero
And are
oil feed m12x1.5
oil drain flange bolts- two m8x1.25
Coolant in an out- m16x1.5
HE351VE came today that I got off ebay. Immediately had to take it apart. lol
Took some measurements. The compressor measurements are approximate since it is a 7 blade wheel.

Wheel dimensions.
Turbine
EX 2.357 ~60mm
IND 2.755 ~70mm

Compressor
EX 3.38 ~85-86mm
IND 2.37 ~60mm

Supposed to be the rough compressor map. To convert from the flow rates shown at the bottom multiply by ~.75 to get approx lb/min. Shows 66-67lb/min.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/ ... vgtMAP.jpg

Non Standard Flange
Sorry for the bad drawing, I'm no artist.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/a ... 130002.jpg

Stuff about the stock actuator.
http://delphi.com/manufacturers/cv/powe ... rt-remote/

Vgt fully closed
Vgt fully open
Turbine wheel and VGT vanes.

Compressor cover

Compared to a stock 90-94 Eclipse 5spd 14b turbo also what the actuator I used came off of.
Exhaust housing compared to a BEP housing for an HX40 and my ghetto adapter.

Quote:
Courtesy of Smelly240

im trying to get a base on the signals coming from the can bus to the module that controls the vgt adjuster/actuator.

So far its gonna be a uphill battle - but i was thinking of having a board that has a gm3bar on it - plus - tapped onto tps signal.

This way at cruise it can be set to full open or half open even to keep egt's down for people that like to drive far to meets, tracks , or prostitution joints.

then have it shut it down like crazy if tps goes past 50 or 75 or something... and then have a setting that disables the tps monitoring (have it think ur at 100% throttle all the time) - this is all going to be a few months away - but i been thinking about it since you made your original thread.

For now I'll probably try a mechanical setup out - heres the setup out of the car as it sits.

More pictures courtesy of member Evil06sti, special thanks for the disassembled pictures.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:
Is there such a thing? What I am thinking of is something like like air/water intercooler but instead of water passing thru it, the turbo sucks air thru it, then feeds the charge thru the side where it normally would on an air water intercooler. Thus cooling itself

FAIL

January 18th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Post Re: HE351VE Holset VGT Turbo Information
From the Delphi documentation, CANbus seems to be the way to go. MS2 supports CANbus, but doesn't implement much at the moment. If we had some sort of documentation of the pinout of the VGT controller and the commands it accepts, we might be able to do something with it. Does anyone have anything like that?

January 19th, 2009, 5:04 am

Aero wrote:

it looks as if they are also made with PWM controls. You could maybe find one of those. If you can the elctronic controls would be similar to my turbo :coolgleam:

January 19th, 2009, 11:09 am
Admin

karlo wrote:
From the Delphi documentation, CANbus seems to be the way to go. MS2 supports CANbus, but doesn't implement much at the moment. If we had some sort of documentation of the pinout of the VGT controller and the commands it accepts, we might be able to do something with it. Does anyone have anything like that?

That is what a lot of people are trying to figure out right now or maiting on others to find out. That or find a way to reprogram the thing to reduce the communications complexity.

Yeah the PWM based actuator seems like it would be far easier to work with. Finding out where to get that actuator might be hard. They are damn expensive too from what I have heard.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:
Is there such a thing? What I am thinking of is something like like air/water intercooler but instead of water passing thru it, the turbo sucks air thru it, then feeds the charge thru the side where it normally would on an air water intercooler. Thus cooling itself

FAIL

January 19th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Maybe Delphi will be a little more open about commands that their SRA will accept?

January 19th, 2009, 11:42 pm
Admin

karlo wrote:
Maybe Delphi will be a little more open about commands that their SRA will accept?

That would be pretty nice if that were the case. I hope someone has enough time to do a little looking around for some more info. Finding a PWM controlled one might make it way easier too.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:

FAIL

January 20th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Aero, have you thought about using the boost controller in MS to control the WG actuator that you are currenlty using? I'm trying to think about it, but maybe that wouldnt work the greatest...

You KNOW there is something sitting in a junkyard somewhere that could be had for free that would work well as a PWM controller for the Holset. There has to be something to attach where the WG actuator is and control it.

The 6.4L Ford diesels use a similar CAN-bus controller for the VGT turbo. The thing about them is that the actuator arm/assembly is outside the housing, sitting out in the open and ready to be easily modified or whatever. I probably wont be able to grab a 'good' cheap core anytime soon though...

January 20th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Admin

SiFlyBy wrote:
Aero, have you thought about using the boost controller in MS to control the WG actuator that you are currenlty using? I'm trying to think about it, but maybe that wouldnt work the greatest...

You KNOW there is something sitting in a junkyard somewhere that could be had for free that would work well as a PWM controller for the Holset. There has to be something to attach where the WG actuator is and control it.

The 6.4L Ford diesels use a similar CAN-bus controller for the VGT turbo. The thing about them is that the actuator arm/assembly is outside the housing, sitting out in the open and ready to be easily modified or whatever. I probably wont be able to grab a 'good' cheap core anytime soon though...

I have been seriously thinking about it. I want to try an MBC on it first, then the MS one. I just want to experiment with a few options to see what works the best.

The holset one has the arm to easily connect things to also, after you unbolt the stock actuator. You can see it in the photos of the arm where I connected the WG actuator.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:

FAIL

January 20th, 2009, 2:57 pm

How about an electronic EGR valve? :dunno: I might have one from a used GM engine. I'm goinf to check it out. ;)

January 20th, 2009, 3:36 pm

I took that EGR valve apart and i don't see why it wouldnt work. It only has about 3/8" of travel, but since it pulls(rather than pushing like your 14b acuator does) you could have it pull on a lever with a 2:1 ratio or whatever was needed to achieve full travel. I may have to pick up one of these Holsets and experimant myself.

January 21st, 2009, 5:30 pm

COOLANT Lines and Oil Feed Thread type/size 07/08 vintage HE351VGT

I have an HE351VGT that I plan on putting on my project this summer. One piece of information I haven't been able to find is the thread sizes of the Oil Feed and coolant lines. I'm pretty sure they are not NPT as I tried some stuff I have sitting around.

January 23rd, 2009, 8:44 pm

I believe the coolant lines may be the same as some GM Radiator fittings but could use some part numbers or links to where folks picked them up.

January 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm
Admin

I got the bullnose fittings with my turbo for the oil line. Drilled and tapped it for NPT to AN style fitting. For water fittings I used NPT fittings to hose barb. Both came fro the local NAPA.
Both IIRC, I just got back from the bar. I'll edit if I find otherwise.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:

FAIL

January 24th, 2009, 3:38 am

Well, I have a HE351vgt in my hands at the moment. I'll probably try communicate with it with CAN at some point. If anyone has any documentation of what it accepts, I'd appreciate it.

January 24th, 2009, 4:39 am

Aero wrote:
I got the bullnose fittings with my turbo for the oil line. Drilled and tapped it for NPT to AN style fitting. For water fittings I used NPT fittings to hose barb. Both came fro the local NAPA.
Both IIRC, I just got back from the bar. I'll edit if I find otherwise.

I have a few mpt fittings. I guess I need to clean and recheck the coolant holes for fitment. The oil feed, well i guess I'll have to keep searching for that connection. Might have to check at a dealer.

January 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Admin

Now that I can think a little more clearly... lol

I did use brass NPT to hose barb fittings for the water lines. The ones I used were standard rather than metric. They were close enough to screw in and not leak using some teflon tape. I wasn't worried about damaging the threads in the turbo since its cast iron, and the fittings were soft brass.

As for the oil, it had the fitting screwed into the turbo already for the line from the stock truck. I drilled and tapped that fitting for a standard NPT to AN style flare.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:

FAIL

January 24th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Aero wrote:
Now that I can think a little more clearly... lol

I did use brass NPT to hose barb fittings for the water lines. The ones I used were standard rather than metric. They were close enough to screw in and not leak using some teflon tape. I wasn't worried about damaging the threads in the turbo since its cast iron, and the fittings were soft brass.

As for the oil, it had the fitting screwed into the turbo already for the line from the stock truck. I drilled and tapped that fitting for a standard NPT to AN style flare.

very true about the brass barb not going to screw up the threads. I can turn it 1-1.5 threads by hand. I'll try to clean up the threads today and give it a try.

January 26th, 2009, 10:59 am

With plenty of information floating around.. and not necessarily confirmed. I have seen the closed sizing mostly claiming 4-5CM2 but a couple posts say the 351 runs in the 9cm2 -25cm2

Can you repost or link to your data when you used putty to determine closed CM2 size?

On my 2.3turd it is pretty important as engine flow and rpm are relatively low based on the 30 yr old technology :dunno:

February 25th, 2009, 9:19 am
Admin

Blownshovel wrote:
With plenty of information floating around.. and not necessarily confirmed. I have seen the closed sizing mostly claiming 4-5CM2 but a couple posts say the 351 runs in the 9cm2 -25cm2

Can you repost or link to your data when you used putty to determine closed CM2 size?

On my 2.3turd it is pretty important as engine flow and rpm are relatively low based on the 30 yr old technology :dunno:

The 3-4cm information is from me. I put clay into the VGT nozzle area then reinstalled the turbine housing and clamp. Then closed the VGT fully. Removed the turbine housing and measured the thickness of the clay after compression.

Here is a photo of the clay after compression.

IIRC it was somewhere around 1.4-1.8mm with the softness its hard to get it exactly it was closer to the low side. Then plugged into the surface area of a cylinder formula (Pi x Diameter x height) using the inducer diameter of the turbine wheel. These measurements are from memory so hopefully I haven't made any errors.

Edit: My memory was off, edited for actual measurements.

If you think about it it has to close a lot tighter than 9cm since it is used as an exhaust brake on the 6.7 trucks. The late 5.9s used a HE351CW and HY35 before that with a fixed 9cm housing and they are effective for fairly high power levels on those trucks.

Self Cooling Intercooler
Quote:

FAIL

February 25th, 2009, 11:59 am

I'm going to go with that. :worshippign: If not at 9cm2 I'd probably be better off to just leave it locked closed or slightly open.

I had planned on using the hx35 with a split header I was going to build.. No doubt the 351 will out HP the 35 now I just need to spool it faster. I still have a few months before spring and any changes so I'll keep searching and looking for info and hopefully a few more success stories

February 25th, 2009, 12:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next